- Young patients, peak in first decade
- Bilateral lesions diagnostic of neurofibromatosis type 1
- Pilocystic astrocytoma (WHO grade 1) most common. Little or no progression over time
- Visual loss less common in NF-1
- Fusiform enlargement of optic nerve
- Expansion of optic canal
- MRI most accurate, iso to hypo on T1, hyper on T2 with variable enhancement
Chung, Ellen M., Charles S. Specht, and Jason W. Schroeder. “Pediatric orbit tumors and tumorlike lesions: neuroepithelial lesions of the ocular globe and optic nerve.” Radiographics 27.4 (2007): 1159-1186.