- Disorder of neuronal organization
- Occurs after neuronal migration
- Extent of involvement varies from small, isolated, unilateral areas to large bilateral areas
- Overconvoluted and fused cortex of normal thickness
- Sometimes associated with CMV or underlying neurometabolic disorder
- Broad thickened gyra (mimicking pachygyria) to overconvoluted multiple gyri with irregular outer and inner cortical surfaces
- May show dystrophic calcification
Glenn, Orit A., et al. “Malformations of cortical development: diagnostic accuracy of fetal MR imaging.” Radiology 263.3 (2012): 843-855.
Fink, Kathleen R., et al. “Neuroimaging of pediatric central nervous system cytomegalovirus infection.” Radiographics 30.7 (2010): 1779-1796.